My Life Changed. So My Planner Had to Change, Too.

For seven years, I was a Leuchtturm1917 loyalist, happily bullet-journaling my way through a single dot-grid A5 notebook each year.

It was an intimate and fulfilling relationship. During that time, I was a free-floater, writing novels, freelancing, traveling, and living abroad. The free-form nature of the bullet-journal system — essentially a flexible, DIY planner system that you create as you go — matched the free-form nature of my life.

But then something happened. I got a sort of reverse seven-year itch. I moved back to the States. I took a full-time job. I signed a lease instead of a sublet. I upended my life by settling down.

As I slowly stitched myself to routine, I found that I could no longer ride out my life week-by-week. Meetings and due dates piled up weeks in advance; I arranged vacation months ahead. Every time I opened my beloved bullet journal, I had a subtle stomach-drop feeling. I once loved spending each Sunday night planning my upcoming week with a newly designed spread, but now it was a time suck, a vestigial to-do that tied me to a time frame useless for organizing my actual life.

As the new year approached, I guiltily scoured the planet for a planner setup that would play nice with my new life, but the options frightened me. I felt stifled by all the standard weekly planners on the market, every page dictated by a pre-determined layout someone else had created.

Like the lit-degree-carrying overthinker I am, I worried that this was a metaphor. Such a planner left no room for vacation travel logs, sketches, impromptu page-long lists of future craft projects — all of the lovely things that I wanted to make up the whole of my life. Was there really no middle ground, no space to combine the me I had been with the me I was becoming?

As I searched, the modular Traveler’s Company Traveler’s Notebook came up again and again (it’s a pick in our guide to paper planners, and it has a loyal following among some of the staff). But I kept dismissing it. I didn’t think I’d like the strange tall and narrow proportion, a little larger than an airline ticket. But despite my misgivings, I had to admit I was drawn to it. The notebook had a sleek, sophisticated leather cover and interchangeable inserts made from lovely paper by Midori, a Japanese brand beloved by stationery aficionados for its resistance to bleeding and feathering. (Midori also makes one of our favorite notebooks.)

Top pick

This planner is a cross between a simple calendar and a beautiful journal. And you can fill it with a range of inserts for any type of planning.



from Wirecutter: Reviews for the Real World https://ift.tt/mw6BQ2C
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nugget Is the ‘Original Play Couch.’ Costco’s Version May Be Better.

The 30 Most Popular Prime Day Deals, According to Wirecutter Readers

We Bought a 450-Pound Mystery Pallet Packed With Returned Goods From Amazon and Beyond. Here’s What We Found Inside.