Everything You Need to Know About PFAS in Your Beauty Products
A few years ago, I became aware of a potential problem with the waterproof and long-wearing makeup products I loved: They probably contained PFAS.
Also known as forever chemicals, PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) truly deliver on their name; some of them are used to create mascara that doesn’t run, foundation that doesn't fade, and eyeliner that can survive a long night of tears. But this class of synthetic chemicals has been linked to a number of health risks.
I considered accepting that my makeup might need to run from now on. But as I’ve looked into this topic, I’ve learned that’s not the reality.
While the United States does not yet have a federal PFAS ban, multiple European and state-level restrictions are driving industry-wide change. In the US, a California ban, which took effect in January 2025, is likely to have a ripple effect, since California is a powerhouse in the cosmetics market. Some cosmetic companies have also faced lawsuits alleging false advertising related to PFAS claims.
Beauty brands are now motivated to rid their formulas of PFAS, rather than to create special versions for states with PFAS restrictions, cosmetic chemist Kelly Dobos said. So the waterproof mascara that you buy today is much less likely to contain PFAS than it was a few years ago.
But just because your makeup doesn’t contain PFAS, that doesn’t mean it’s going to run. Instead, many products are being reformulated to include ingredients with a long history of use, and they are still tenacious.
Here’s what you need to know about PFAS in cosmetics and how to shop for makeup that’s less likely to contain these chemicals.
from Wirecutter: Reviews for the Real World https://ift.tt/hP8Kwqc
via IFTTT
Comments
Post a Comment